Friday, January 2, 2009

Beginnings & Lessons

That last post, though expressive in many ways, isn't how I want to start this year... so even though I never feel like new year is really a beginning, I want to record this "beginning" and it's lessons here.
Today one out of my close-knit group of friends was randomly in town, so he and my sister and I went and climbed a mountain (with the Parents trailing along) and went to see a movie, and talked. It was... calm. comfortable. enjoyable. (I find that my times are rarely spectacular. everything is middlin' to fair with me...) Even my sister was cooperative and managed to have a pretty good time.
So despite the strangeness of meeting on this continent rather than the one across the ocean, and despite the lack of other friends and the shortness of time, I am glad about the way this year has started. I don't even mind having missed the Bones marathon, which, as my best friend would tell you, is unusual. I don't mind because, silly though it will seem to say it- people are more important than television.
It's that simple. People over television. People over that extra hour of studying. People over that extra hour of sleep. That's something Kristiana brought to my attention. Thanks for that, friend. And that is what I want to challenge myself with (apart from the myriad of challenges that are coming anyway- what can I say, it makes life interesting ;) ) I want to make the time I have with the people around me (and those far away that I communicate with) meaningful. There's not really a better word for it than that.
Allons-hi, 2009!

No comments: