Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Seeing Ghosts


This Image. The sign in this image is proof that the organization that has overshadowed 5/6ths of my life actually exists outside of my parents' conversations and random sites on the internet. I am amazed, shocked, to see its physical manifestation. Even, maybe, a little sad that it looks so... American. I always imagined that red white and black flag to be another flag of the country of Europe... sort of like the German flag, or the French one, but encompassing a part of them all. Like some part of each country belonged to it. Which is weird, really, 'cause knowing the people in the organization, the organization itself is clearly secondary to the actual life's work of living with the European people and loving them and representing Jesus in their lives.
I feel like it is a good time to speak something that has been on my mind for a while. My parents' lives are changing. Part of that change has been a progressive distancing from the mission field... meaning, if things continue as they are, I really don't see how we would be going back to Spain. It hurts me in ways I don't quite understand myself. When I think that I will be tethered to this vast continent of a country for all of the forseeable future, it's as if something wrenches apart in my insides and dies. Am I to be stuck in this aridity?
And another thing that I have been slowly, slowly working through in the past few months. How...- Was...- no. I can't even phrase it properly after 6, almost 7 months. My parents dedicated their lives- their LIVES, you understand, their lives and mine and my sister's- to ministering to people in Europe. We were there, we were set apart, we were foreigners in strange, yet wonderful lands, for a purpose. That purpose was to help other people understand the love of God. To help them think about their position in life, and realize the truth. My family was a cause. We were our own little island in a sea of fascinating, normal people, some of whom even I could see were in incredible pain. And we were there to show them the answer. (It's cheesy, I know, but I was a kid. That's what I understood)
And now I am realizing that what my parents did really wasn't all that much. I hear stories of men and women who changed the world. That, I think, is too much to expect of everyone, so I include my parents in everyone. But then I listen to the stories of other, more radical missionaries. The people who went and lived... and then the accomplishments of my family seem tiny. Like we didn't give God enough room to operate through us. Granted, I was a little kid for most of the time we spent there, so I might not have seen the fruit of my parents lives (to speak a little christianese). Still, I have to wonder... could we have done better? Were we -were my parents- only half-heartedly devoted to their call? Do I have to doubt my most beloved role-models? I do not know the answer. Just asking that question throws me into a hurt and a confusion that I'd rather not touch, it smarts so much. Pray, if you think about it, that God would- would what? Assure me that my parents' work was enough? Assure me that it wasn't enough, but he's ok with that 'cause they tried? Tell me that yes, they failed, but I, as their daughter and his, have a chance to make it right? Gah! All of those options are messed up. So, I don't know. Just... pray. Pray that in this messed up, confusing world, God would indeed prove to be a Rock.

I have rambled, my reader, long enough. That IS my prerogative as author of this blog, but still, I think it's suficiente now. Prou. Genug. Sufficient.
Good night, from GEMk
E.O.

2 comments:

hannah said...

aww, the sign! from our years living in colorado i saw that sign many many times. for me, it is nostalgia ... going to the office and seeing the people in the home base. having potlucks out there, sitting on giant boulders. have you seen the flags? they have the most amazing flags :)

anyway, kate. i too am at a place like yours, my own strange struggles, which i know are vastly different from yours, but a tad similar. i know now that my parents are not going back to europe. feels kind of like part of my identity died. but i kind of new they weren't going back before we even left...i expected it. it was like: okay, you've been missionaries for 25+ years. time to try something different. it felt like...moving on? but still painful to me. seeing as i might never go back...which makes my hands start shaking.

hab dich viel lieb katelein! i want to add some comforting and encouraging words here at the end, but i can't think of anything that would be perfect. so i will just sign off by saying, you are dear to me.

Anonymous said...

I don't think God would have called your parents to serve if he didn't think they would have enough of an impact- and God's view of their impact might be different than your own. Just think of "the butterfly effect"- one seemingly small action may cause much larger ones- like a butterfly flapping its wings can theoretically cause a hurricane halfway around the world. :D

BTW, have any suggestions for steampunk things for the steampunk themed room?