Wednesday, July 22, 2009

wine

Well, in order to explain how this post came to be titled "wine," I would have to write an entire essay of an explanation. To make a long story really, really short, I am taking a class in film this summer, concretely photography and film, and we were reproducing a scene from Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona, and I was somehow wrangled into being an actress, a.k.a. Vicky.
(insert rant about how I am in a film class to LEARN ABOUT FILM, not in drama class, and how one of the people who was just taking the class to get 4 credit-hours should have been an actress, since THEY WOULDN'T CARE EITHER WAY)
In this scene, the two girls are at a restaurant, sipping wine, when a suave, arrogant Spanish (Barcelonian, hehe) guy comes to attempt to pick them up. If you are an astute reader, you have spotted the wine. So did my classmates. And of course, as most college students would be, were all for the idea of having an excuse to bring wine to class. Me, I have never had a drink of wine in my life. Not a sip. Not a drop has passed these lips lest it be cooked into a dish I happen to be eating. In fact, I really haven't had any alcohol to speak of, ever. And I was NOT about to try it for the first time in the company of 20 strangers, on set, in class. Somehow I imagine that the outcome of doing so would be embarrassing in several ways.
So, I pretended to sip my wine, and of course, in pretending to do so, got a whiff of it. All my chem lab days came back to me in a flash. Memories of sterilizing instruments, of poisonous and/or organic mixtures, and of dissecting odd creatures came to my mind, along with the thought "people DRINK this? for FUN?" - after which I had to laugh at myself and my naiveté.
Sufficient to say, I did not join in the camaraderie-like drinking afterwards (our professor provided glasses- he's just that type of guy), and resumed my usual place in a group of people, that of being the one going against the grain in some completely odd and most often unnecessary way. Sigh. I had kind of missed it. :P
and thus concludes my post on wine. I hope you've had at least a chuckle at my expense. =)
over 'n out.
E.O.

No comments: