Monday, July 6, 2009

songs

Kingdom, by Bethany Dillon
Thank Goodness, by the cast of Wicked

For some reason, these two songs keep popping up in my head at random, non-associated times.
Do other people wake up singing songs? Or is that just me? It's like there's a minute or so where my brain is in free-fall in-between wake-up mode and then it settles into a groove. A song appears out of the nether.
Also, rather than complete songs, i get fragments:

"I hear her soul/is so unclean/pure water could melt her./melt her!/ please, somebody go and melt her!"
"when you were first summoned/to an audience with oz/and though he would not tell you why initially/ when you bowed before his throne, he decreed you'd hence be known/as glinda the good/ officially./ and with a jealous SCREAM/the wicked witch burst from concealment/where she had been lurking/ surruptitiouly"
~Thank Goodness, or some other Wicked song.
"help me see the light/i'm reaching through the fight/Yaweh, show me the kingdom/ arms open wide, yeah, swallowed up by light/yaweh, show me the kingdom"
"why are some women barren/while the wicked's house is full?"
"teach me how to hum this/'cause i don't know the words yet"
~"Kingdom" by Bethany Dillon

in other thoughts, I REALLY need some new music. like, stuff i can grab hold of. I just realized I've basically had only a few new songs since I was 15. This is SAD. And yesterday I was singing a song I learned in elementary school. It was supposedly in Gallego, but when i sang it for my friend from Galicia a while back, she just gave me this look and said she couldn't tell if it really WAS Gallego, 'cause my accent was so bad. Also, some of those words don't exist in gallego, apparently. So, question:
Why am I still attached to this song, which I'm singing in a language that doesn't exist?
Although I am pretty certain that the language doesn't exist, I know exactly what the words mean when I sing them. How is this possible? Just how bizarre IS that? Linguistically speaking, it's a fascinating idea. It feels exactly like a normal language...
anyway, now I'm getting off-topic and into my class-related ponderings. :P
I hear it's Hannah's half-birthday, so shout-out to her! :D w00t! You made it through another six months of life mostly unscathed! Congrats my friend. You're a lovely part of my life and I have thoroughly enjoyed the past six months of being your friend. ")
but, enough of my mental ramblings. I simply felt like it was time for a new post. :P
over 'n out.
E.O.

No comments: