Wednesday, June 15, 2011

It's official.

There's a small wasp-nest in my doorway.
Know what else is official?
It's coming down. Mission Nest-Removal begins tonight, 2200 hours.
---------
So I bought the wasp-killer. Sadly there was a gigantic thunder-storm tonight, so no wasp-spraying yet. But soon. Soon.
-------------
The mission was delayed another night, due to extreme lateness of the hour of my return home compounded by complete ignorance of how to use the wasp spray.
The next day, I asked someone (a random dude who was working on the neighborhood pool) how best to plan my attack. He had some very valuable insight into the strategy of the thing.
Then, I did it.
I got home, tested the spray (to see how far it could go, hehehe. and to practice aiming it).
I suited up with:
1 pair jeans
1 pair sweatpants
1 pair thick, fuzzy slippers
1 long sleeve shirt
1 thick hoodie (with the hood up)
1 scarf (around my face)
1 beanie
Then I opened the door, sprayed the shit out of the wasps' nest, watched them fall to the ground, and slammed the door shut, all in under a minute. ...of course, it took me about five, plus a quote from The Princess Diaries to psych myself up for those 30 seconds or so, but w/e. The job is done.
What was the quote, you wonder?
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
which, by the way, (according to the internet) was originally said by Ambrose Redmoon.
So yeah. All's well that (almost) ends well. Now I just have to knock the stupid thing down in a day or so. Yippee.
I have to say though, seeing those wasps lying dead on my porch was sweet, sweet victory.
Cheers.
PP.

Epilogue
So now I know that the reason the spray can tells you to wait 24h or more before removing the nest is because in that time the larvae drop out of it! Can you say EW? I also may or may not have screamed "Augh! It's ALIVE!!" when one of them started moving.
But now the wasps are all removed, including wiggly larvae (which I sprayed with some more spray, for good measure). Mission wasp-removal has been successfully accomplished.
w00t!
I am exceedingly proud of my accomplishment.

1 comment:

hannah said...

man that would freak me out! i hate wasps. eww. :P