Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Divine Mercy

Whenever I'm at the end of my tether, God jumps in to save the day, make it a little brighter outside. It's always when I can't do anything to help myself. And it's been that way since I can remember.
There was the time I was training to be a camp councilor and felt awfully, despondently alone; the time I somehow got the same Choir prof in senior year of HS who had terrified me in MS; the time I really really needed a job; the time I was once again feeling alone and horribly frustrated... and many others.
I guess most people wouldn't call the help that came to me "God," but I'm convinced it was. Because almost always when help came, it was after prayer. I prayed, and was granted a hot shower (as opposed to the icky cold ones I'd had for days) and a few friendly faces. I prayed, and the Choir prof decided I was worth some respect in class (aka, he didn't terrorize me). I prayed, and just happened to meet a woman on her coffee break who e-mailed a colleague in the Library and got me a job. The last time, though I didn't pray, an acquaintance came up to me and actually asked what was going on, and proceeded to try and cheer me up. Those are just some of the instances when I prayed. There are countless others when I really didn't, very much, but God stepped in and blessed me anyway.
So I believe that He'll come through this time too.
Maybe mercy isn't quite the word for it. Maybe it's more like... providing? blessing? guidance? I don't know. But I am immensely thankful to Him for it.
I realize that prayer and a couple circumstances aren't really what you'd call a logical or well-argumented scientific basis in fact to come to the conclusion that I come to every time. I realize that many people pray and don't have such results. I don't understand why that is. But in this one thing, I am determined to believe. Because if I don't- what else is there? If there is no sentient, benevolent being controlling the Universe, then suffering occurs for absolutely no reason, and my only response can be hopelessness, pain, and guilt in my own happy life.
Sigh. There is more to say, but I have a term paper to write instead.
later.

No comments: