Monday, October 6, 2008

Intentional Change

Most people recognize that college is a time for change. I mean, you're at that time in your life where you determine the course of the rest of it. In some sense, you are truly free to make the decisions that seem best to you. But humans are creatures of habit. Some more so than others, of course- I have one friend who, if the changes in her life get too big to deal with, color coordinates her lunch (such as, an orange, carrots, orange m&m's, cheddar cheese and cheetos) or carries around bouquets of pencils. Not everyone is this extreme, but in general anyone you meet will have some habits. Things that they are just plain used to doing. Their habits may have lost their function as time passed, but the person will still continue them (I think this accounts for at least 30% of Government practices). The point being, unless you set out with the intention of change, you will generally find that it creeps up on you unannounced- and it might not be the kind of change you wanted. Because, as my Grandmother (purveyor of all pithy wisdom) would say,
"You can expect change from everything- except a vending machine."

So, I have decided to be intentional about change, especially for the next 5 or 6 years. They, I believe, will be crucial. And in that spirit, I decided to do two things:
1. Pierce my nose
2. Volunteer at a sort of shelter in the city, where they don't just give people food- they help them get back on their feet, with showers, haircuts, resume writing, etc.
Step one is already complete, and I am working on setting up step two. There are other volunteer opportunities at the college, of course, but I feel like God has really been pushing me toward working at OSH (random letters, not the real sigla. :P).
There are other changes that need to occur, but these are enough to be getting started with.
Allons-hi!
over 'n out.

No comments: