Thursday, May 21, 2009

Streetcars and Ironies

Today was a momentous day. I saw Star Trek for the second time. Still love it. And James T. Kirk still reminds me of a guy I know, John W. Which strikes me as really strange, but there you have it. I also went on a wild goose chase through the city with a friend of mine, trying to find the house where the meeting we wanted to go to was being held. I think I saw more of the city today than I have all year, and we certainly did some seriously poor navigating. :P We had fun though, getting lost and conversing for the first time in two weeks - which felt like forever for two reasons. One, we lived across from each other for about 9 months, and so were constantly in one another's lives, and two, I've not been around peers for a full two weeks - except for that one trip to the movies last week. So, despite the fact that we wandered around the city for two hours peering at streets, and saying things like "I feel like we should turn left here, don't you?" or "Hey, this looks familiar!" (which was almost inevitably followed by "...I'm pretty sure we've never been here." or, later on, "if you say 'that looks familiar' one more time...!" and "now I KNOW that wasn't on the way back to Uni." :P); despite all this, we had a pretty good time. The city was beautiful in the sunset, and we discovered some quaint little roads, and laughed a lot. :) Why this always seems to happen to me in cities, I couldn't tell you. But I'm sure some of you readers can attest to the fact that I can get lost absolutely ANYwhere, and have been with me on multiple occasions, eh, Annalisa?
In fact, I got lost in my own area just yesterday. As I think about it, it occurs to me that I've gotten turned around - which is a eupemism for lost - 4 times this week. And each time my mom has proved to be a veritable knight in shining armour, riding in with Google maps and her excellent navigation skills to save the day!
The moral of the story? Never send me out anywhere without at LEAST two sets of directions on how to get there, and at least one map, and the phone number of someone who knows the area. That is, unless I've been wherever you're sending me multiple times before. :P
Oh, and the title is from a song of Chris Rice's that I found the other day with the help of a friend, and which is running 'round my head. Here's a link, if you'd like to hear it. :) I know now that the actual title is "Punchlines and Ironies," but for some reason my brain insterted "streetcars" instead. Must be all the city scenery from today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ5SeObCybo

No comments: