Monday, May 17, 2010

Highway Travels/Troubles

So... I've been getting a ride to work with a relative of mine for a few weeks now. I have watched closely as she careens the car, with us in it, into the city. So when I was informed that she wouldn't be going to work today and tomorrow, and that I would have to drive myself to work and back I thought, hey, no problem! I got up in the morning, got myself dressed, fed, etc, got in the car, and drove myself to work. All was splendid.
It wasn't until the drive home that I realized that I had not been paying quite so much attention to the road on the way back. In my defense, I was also trying to get home from a different part of the city, having visited the ever-lovely IKEA. Needless to say, I got hopelessly turned around. So hopelessly, in fact, that I had half-an-hour's trouble finding a highway, any highway, to get onto and on which to get closer to familiar territory. Eventually I managed to get on a highway, going in one direction of the compass, thinking it would feed into the highway I actually wanted to be on ('cause it does, in the center of the city) only to realize that it DOES do so - in the complete opposite direction from the one in which I was presently traveling. Joy. I righted myself, and finally (and very, very circuitously) got on the right route, only to miss my exit and practically have left the city behind me for good before I realized it.
At this point I gave up, got off the highway, and called my Dad. Wise man that he is, he sent me straight to the right exit, and gave me nice, simple directions for getting from said exit to my house.
Hurray for dads who know their exits.
Also, I have to do this again tomorrow. Hopefully minus the whole getting-lost-adventure bit. I've discovered though that I really like driving. And oh, the elation of figuring out you're finally right where you need to be! But I wax metaphorical. And I'm beginning to begin sentences with "and" and "but" - stop me, before I turn English (back) into German! Aaagh!
-end of broadcast-
E.O.

1 comment:

mandrews said...

I've gotten lost twice in LA... Once by myself and I called a friend who got me on a freeway that eventually took me where I wanted to go... The second time I was showing Patty around LA and I got all turned around looking for the freeway. We eventually found one that got us home, but it was pretty funny... Good luck today!