Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fast Approaching

Summer. For me, there are two work-weeks and one weekend left until I get to start doing Exciting Things. Things that herald the coming of the new school year, and with that, some very good change. There are some new things on the horizon and, contrary to my belief at the beginning of this summer, two months or so ago, I will get to travel before the summer's out! Which is wonderful, because I absolutely LOVE traveling. I love absolutely every aspect of it: packing bags, driving to the airport, going through customs, sitting at the gate for ever, reading as you listen to the busy sounds around you. I love watching people who are going on other flights (or your flight) and wondering where they're going and what their stories are, looking out the window at the plane mechanics and vehicles toddling around on the tarmac, and guessing what languages the people around you are speaking. Yes, the hustle and bustle of airports fills me with excitement, but really, what's best about traveling comes in the form of two things: people you already know, and places you don't. You see, traveling is the perfect combination of things in life that I love, namely: old friends and new sights; laughter, conversation and exploration.
Habits are well and good, necessary for ordinary, day-to-day life. Familiar places are comfortable and safe, as are the people you see every day. But oh, the highlights of travel. =)Sometimes I want to be an itinerant photographer, just so I'll have an excuse to make it a lifestyle. A girl can dream, no?
For now, though, I will be happy about my two treasures, my two trips to come, and my third treasure, the perfect chaser, the schoolyear to come after them, replete with friends and classes and new responsibilities.
Hah! I started this post intending to write about how good my summer has actually been, and how I might even be slightly sad when it ends, which is true, but... hah! :) I can smell change on the wind, and I'm happy, glad that these past few months have been so good, glad that I have two more weeks to enjoy it, and glad that the future promises to be even better.
over 'n out.
E.O.

No comments: