Saturday, January 1, 2011

Stumped

I'm stumped. As the title of this post so elegantly puts it.
I spent several days at the beach, and collected a whole keel-full of shells. I think they are some of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I can (apparently - this is a recent discovery) sit on the floor for hours just organizing and re-organizing them into categories - just for the excuse of handling and looking at them.
And having brought them back and having nothing useful to do with them, I want to give them to my friends so that they can share in the beauty of them. Only I have realized, from past endeavors of this sort, that not everybody cares for shells as much as I do.
So I have a dilemma. Do I just give a shell to everybody, and hope that, even if they don't like the shell, they'll appreciate the gift/thought? Or do I attach a note explaining what I think about the shells? I couldn't figure it out. I even typed up a sample note. See?

"You may or may not like shells as much as I do- you may not care much about them at all. So let me explain. If I'm giving you these shells, it's both because I have seen something of divine design in you, and because that has made my life more beautiful. They are for you because I want you to remember that.

Some of the shells are whole, some broken. I call the broken ones "beautiful pieces" - because even the shell of a shell is beautiful, both with the original beauty and a new one that comes from being broken.

So- I hope you like the shells for their own sake."


But I just can't bring myself to spend all that postage-money if people won't care? Maybe? But then I get so caught up in seeing how beautiful they are that I can't imagine someone not being absolutely delighted on opening their mailbox and seeing a seashell in it. Sigh.
Don't worry, H and Ms, you're getting some, no matter what I decide about everyone else.

3 comments:

hannah said...

i still have those other shells you gave me--the really smooth ones. i love them!!

Anonymous said...

Shells are awesome! Perhaps we could trade, and I could give you a nice sample of chert and jasper?

TheMicrophone said...

sure! You were gonna get some anyway though. =)