Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Unreasonable Wishes

I made a mistake a few weeks ago. I pulled my favorite notebook ever out of storage, where I had kept it, thinking "I could use it again, someday".
Why is this a mistake, you're wondering. After all, she is using it, as she had intended to, instead of leaving it stored in some random spot forever and a day.
You see, the problem is- I LOVE this notebook. In my estimation, it is just the way a notebook should be: a heavy, brightly colored cardboard cover, wirebound with a single spiral of wire, pleasantly thick pages with a colorful border, divided into 5x5 mm squares in which to write- so that if, on some occasion, you feel you'd rather write in a landscape rather than portrait orientation, you are free so to do.

If you divide them up into their elements, that makes eight specifications. Had I known when I bought this notebook, how rare it is to find all of those qualities together in this way, I would have bought several more of them for later use.
So I've been doing something silly. I've been looking online for this particular brand and specification of notebook. Apparently, this brand originates in France, and the particular variation of notebook to which I have so irrationally become aesthetically attached is sold only in Spain. The brand doesn't even sell outside of Europe. At all. And the notebooks themselves are made in the countries in which they are sold (I guess at least I have a good nose for home-grown products? xD). Moreover, they cost a pretty penny now - though as I recall, I got the one I currently own, as well as one other of its kind for quite cheap.
Sigh. And there ends my dream of buying ten of these lovely little creations and just having them shipped over here so that I don't have to run out when this one poor, left-over specimen is filled.
:P
After all, this is a new country, and they do things differently here. It's really just sort of funny to me that I feel about these notebooks how I used to feel about peanut butter or waffles.
peace.
~E.O.

2 comments:

JLTan said...

I was surprised that given the difficulties you described, how you managed to own your first one of those notebooks. I later concluded that you may have lived in Europe before you moved.

Anyway, given the wishes to travel that you described in your previous post, you may have the opportunity to get your favourite type of notebook sometime in the future. Or ask a friend or relative bring you one or two when they go visit you.

May God bless you.

hannah said...

kate, i have the same attachment to a notebook that is sold only in france that my teacher used to bring to us to use for creative writing. i love it so much that i wanted to buy ten of them, but that would have meant getting her to buy ten and transport them to me. which i wish i had done because now i have none (rhyme!)