Sunday, February 22, 2009

Complex Thoughts

So yesterday I was sitting on a bus. I love public transportation most of the time. It's convenient, not as much work as a car ('cause you don't have to worry about parking it), and it provides you w/intimate knowledge of the city's corners and faces.
Sitting on that bus, I closed my eyes and remembered doing the same thing... I went back to the days when I used to travel on the BCN metro, the blue and yellow lines. I remember falling asleep there too. And watching people. I remember promising myself that I would stop falling asleep on the metro, because it would cause me to miss my stop and be late if I fell too deeply asleep... And sitting there, on the campus shuttle bus, I remembered the habit of an entire year of my life. It brought me, eventually, to reflect on how much I have changed in the past two years.
I had a job as a nanny for this family with two kids, a girl of 7 and a boy of 3. I was supposed to speak to them only in English- but that didn't work very well for very long. The kids knew me, and knew I spoke their language, and I wasn't strong-willed enough or creative enough to keep out time together in English. The parents didn't blame me for it. But I wonder, if I went back to the job now, if I wouldn't be better able to pull it off.
Who has time made me? That is the question I am always asking. But is it a valid question to ask? Isn't it also, who have I made myself? We are always taught that choices make us who we are. The little things, the big things, the in-between ones. What would it take to live intentionally, I wonder. What would that entail?

1 comment:

hannah said...

as you talked about riding a bus all these memories of riding german busses just popped into my head. and i miss it--the quiet of it (because germans are silent travelers) and the countryside that i loved to look at as we rode down curvy country roads.

it also reminds me of that random song that has one random line in it: i ride my bus. the song itself talks about how we don't belong on earth, but in heaven. and i guess the bus part is kind of pointing out that profound thoughts come in ordinary places.

i CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!

hdl