Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mangoes and Things

So... apparently Tuesday is H-mart day. I was going to go yesterday, but had a stomach ache on the way home and was exhausted from pushing myself in swimming. So it happened today. Fruits of the spoil include: lychee (more on that later), mangoes, an onion, and queso fresco.
Lychee. The reason I bothered to even find H-mart last week in the first place. Today, I found lychee on sale, though it was nowhere to be seen last week. Good. So I buy some. I had heard from several sources that it tastes like "perfume". Um... okay. First of all, they're a blast to peel. They're all spiky and almost prickly on the outside, but you can sink your nail into them easily, and then after a teensy bit of exertion, the outside bit comes off like a dream. The inside, to my mind, tastes like a peeled grape. Seriously. What's all this fuss about perfume? I don't understand. They're a lot of fun, but next time I want something similar... I'll just peel some of the grapes my family keeps permanently in the refrigerator drawer. :P
The mangoes, as always, are marvelous. I don't know why I didn't like them the first time I had one. They're quite extraordinary, and I kind of wish my childhood had been full of them. I think that you experience fruit more intensely when you're a kid. You... well, for lack of a better word, you play with it. Figure it out, get accustomed to its composition. And then, it becomes ordinary. Hah, I'm having trouble explaining why this process of discovering, understanding, enjoying, and getting used to fruit as a kid seems so great to me, but just trust that it's one of those beautiful "Dandelion Wine" type things of growing up, to my mind. A quintessential part of being a kid. Fruits are just all so varied in taste, color, and texture (watermelon, peach, cherry, banana, mango, pineapple, apple, guava...). Yet all have the same purpose; all are sweet, have some kind of skin, and contain seeds. *shrug*
I wonder, sometimes, what other kinds of fruits there are in the world that I haven't encountered yet. I hope that I do, one day, encounter them, and get to take joy in the experience of New Things.
I look forward to it.
over 'n out.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hi!
I just thought I would say "hi" haha and that I LOVE your backround/layout.
Have a nice day (: