Friday, September 17, 2010

Okay, a real post

So here's the deal, y'all. Summer's over. There's a lot going on in my life now, and things aren't as simple as they were in the summer, 'cause there's lots of things to keep track of. I had to buy a planner. A PLANNER! Me! The girl who just keeps it all in her head and makes a list or two a day, just to make sure it's all still there. But no more. Or maybe just allinoneplace, lol.
What am I doing, you ask? Well. For starters, I'm in classes. Of course. I have been for the past many years of my life (read: I only have two more years of this, then comes the REAL WORLD. How do I feel about this? I have not yet decided, but I'm guessing it's somewhere between scared and curious). Classes are filling my head with thoughts of translation, translatability, borrowing, being able to read and write, and what-do-words-really-mean. I love words.
That's another thing. I am discovering that I love a lot of things in life. I love sunlight in my room of a morning. I love waking up and putzing around my flat and biking to campus. I love ESL tutoring (oh, I'll tell you about that in a minute) and I love all of my small groups (another hing I'll tell you about in just a minute, maybe) etc. I guess what I'm discovering is the ability to say that I love things, the ability to tell people, when they ask me how I'm doing, that it's been a wonderful day, or that I love my classes, and my jobs, and my life. This pervasive - can I call it joy? - is almost bewildering. God is good.
Life feels substantially different to me this beginning. It's partially the old love of change and fall, and schoolstart, but it's also... well, more than that. For one thing, I am somehow in a place where I can be strong for other people now. I'm in leadership positions too, which is new and strange. You know what else is very different this year? The amount of time I'm spending in the Bible. Yes, it's true. I suppose now would be a good time to mention all those small groups I was talking about. I'm participating in two and helping lead one. The two I'm a participant in are vastly different from one another, which is good. All of them, however, require some intense study of Bible passages.
All this newness and happiness are giving me space to be able to ask myself some tough questions. What those are, I will preserve for another night, because I just sat staring at the screen for the past 5 minutes straight. Lol. Clearly, it's time for sleep. Tomorrow is another full (FULL) day.
I will leave you with this thought:

I'm hoping that I become a conglomeration of all the people I admire, plus a little something extra; every text is a translation of and draws on the ones that have come before it.

over 'n out.
E.O.

No comments: