Saturday, March 29, 2008

Old man Time plays tricks with the mind

It's so strange, isn't it, when you see in yourself what you've seen sometimes in others? Me, I saw a grown-up today. You know, those people that have two lives: the ones that they live among their peers and the ones they live for their kids (or cousins, in my case). Of all things...! Once, when we were talking about college and careers my grandfather asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. Trying to evade the question with grace, I flippantly said, an adult. He answered that that was just silly; no grown-up was an adult!
And it's true, I guess. Just like it's true that you never actually get to that ideal age where you think, when you are younger, that you will be on top of your life, in control of everything. The first time I realized that was one day in the fourth grade, when I remembered a girl that I had looked up to as the sum of all scholastic wisdom. She had been in the fourth grade and I in the first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing to say xD

Castro was here again! :D

Annalisa said...

Ah yes. Climbing those age-ranks and realizing that the high-and-mighty, able-to-unlock-all-of-the-mysteries-of-life kind of person you looked up to merely stood where you are now. That happened to me and turning 16. I still can't answer those mind-boggling mysteries of life, and my brownies have just taken a turn for the worse.
What's really important is to remember that YOU are now at that high-ranking place where the little ones look up to you, drinking in your every word, just like you did back in the day. Kind of a big responsibility! Wow. Amazing thoughts, yet again :) Cheerio!