Saturday, April 25, 2009

Disappointing Dance

It is time to discuss... dancing.
I was introduced to swing dancing by a GEM friend of mine last summer. It was a lot of fun, and we learned the basic step plus some really random turns and aerials (yes, aerials in the first 2 days of dancing. 'twas fun). I really enjoyed it, it was such a fun way to move.
So this year I joined the school's swing club. I've learned a lot from various club members, and even made a few friends. I can now swing out, and know some more steps that are common on the social dance floor. But I've made a discovery as well. I don't dance well with people I either a) don't know or b) don't feel comfortable with. And I really really don't do well in a big gathering of dancers.
There is something about the social dance floor. It requires a specific body language to indicate your availability to dance and amiability. I have not mastered this body language. That, coupled with my not-quite-up-to-par dancing skills lead to one conclusion: I don't dance much at a big dance. I don't know people, so I can't join them (since they don't exist) and I don't exude approachability, so I can't get to know people. And I'm not a phenomenal dancer, so that doesn't attract people to me either.
To put it bluntly: I end up feeling like a wall flower.
Some people take pity (or something) on me, and ask me to dance, and then it's fun. But there's never a repetition. I also can't seem to master the chattiness required. For one thing, talking while dancing is hard. I can either concentrate on following the way the person is leading me, or on talking. A lot of leads like talking (it is after all, the SOCIAL dance floor) and then, of course, my dancing fails. Sigh.
That said, I really really enjoy dancing when I get it. When the dance is good, it's a wonderful feeling. The movement is something like harmony, which I've talked about earlier. ...which knowledge only fuels my disappointment that I don't usually manage to dance like that.
Sorry, reader, I've just sort of been rambling some of the thoughts I had this evening at a neighboring college. I will attempt to make this post more upbeat in the morning, when I'm not quite so disappointed.
over 'n out.
E.O.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for the record, still doing better than me on the dancing front :P