Monday, November 16, 2009

Concentration? What?

Yeah... my store of concentration has gone waaay down the tubes. I don't know what happened to it.
I am attempting to write a paper on Hungarian Phonology. We have to write a description of a language for my linguistics class and I (foolishly) thought that choosing a language I don't know would make the thing more interesting. I would like a large stamp that says "FRUSTRATING" and some red ink. If I owned such a stamp, I would print the paper, and then stamp it. I'd stamp the books I'm currently poring (read: sleeping) over to get the information, and I'd stamp the professor's face, the one who assigned this thing and encouraged us to look for "interesting" languages in the first place.
Yes, I now know why Hungarian writing has so many z's in it. I also know why "Budapest" is not pronounced (as the average European would imagine) /budapest/ but with a "sh" sound where they've clearly written an "s," and why the same goes for the town of Sopron. However. It has required of me extra hours of painstaking, detailed work and analysis, synthesis, and comprehension- and I'm not even through the phonotactics (syllable construction) of the thing! I have to describe: phonology, phonotactics, suprasegmentals, morphology, and maybe a little syntax if I feel like it.
I won't say that I'm not learning though. Did you know that, contrary to what public school taught you, words are not solely made up of syllables? No, in some languages, there are things called "edge clusters" of consonants. Consonant clusters are normal- they're things like the "cl" part of the syllable "clap". What this one book I've been fuddling through intimates is that, in some languages, there are extra consonants that just sit around on the edges of words, for no particular reason, with no particular cohesion to the word. They're "licensed by some special mechanism limited to the edges of domains and not by an onset or a coda constituent (read: the consonant parts of a true syllable) dominating them." Take a wild guess at a language that might have these weird clusters? BINGO! You guessed it. Hungarian.
This is only one of the many lovely complications and news-flashes I have encountered in the past week or two, which started with old, semi-indescipherable IPA and hasn't come to a conclusion yet.
Sigh.
Back to the slaughterhouse. If you find me wandering around somewhere, lost, with mush dribbling out my ear and nose, don't be too surprised- it'll just be my brain that finally disentigrated from a mixture of confused incomprehension and tedium.
over 'n out.
E.O.

No comments: