Monday, November 2, 2009

Let me explain to you...

...what my body is doing to me.
This is a post about the horrors of the Nasal Drip. Those of you who are squeamish, do not proceed.
There is a tickle at the back of my throat. Persistent, insidious. It's not a big sensation. It doesn't have to be. You see, the sole purpose of this tickle is to trick my throat into thinking it has to cough. Once that is accomplished, the throat will pull the lungs and back and abdomen muscles with it in an attempt to rid itself of the foul oozing sensation. The back pulls, the abdomen moves in like a flash, air leaves the lungs in a rush, and - nothing is accomplished. Absolutely nothing. Just a dry, hacking cough; and the Nasal Drip goes right on trickling quietly, laughing to itself, and waiting for it's little scheme to have the same effect all over again.
Of course, having experienced this cycle several thousand times in the last week, I know exactly how it works. But no matter what I do, there is nothing that will stop that mucous from traveling out of my nasal cavity, to my stomach, via my larynx. As aforementioned, I can't cough. Neither can I blow my nose, or attempt to push the mucous onwards by "swallowing" it. The thing is so odious, I almost wish I COULD. I can't stop from coughing either, you see, because the whole thing is a sort of reflex. If I breathe in too deeply, my throat catches, and can't help but cough. I know I don't really need to cough. But no matter how hard I try to convince it, my body won't believe me.
The crazy thing is, this one silly, simple little thing, a nasal drip, is making my whole body suffer. My back and abdomen are sore from coughing ineffectually. My throat is raw for the same reason, sometimes to the point where I get that pin-prick sensation in the back of it that won't go away no matter how much you cough, or drink water. The skin of my nose is raw from trying to blow some of the beastly little buggers (literally) out. I LOOK sick. I FEEL sick. All because of a stupid little tickle at the back of my throat.
And that is the horror of the Nasal Drip. A small, silly horribly annoying little pest. I hope and pray that you may avoid it and never read this post and think "goodness! yes! that's just exACTly what I felt/am feeling this/last week/month."
thank you, and good night.
E.O.

No comments: