Thursday, November 26, 2009

Kenari - part 2

So today I did some more of that thing where i stand in the store and try to make people taste and wonder about and buy that Kenari stuff.
I was outside today, which was a very different vibe from the produce section from yesterday. Sampling things outside is much less respectable and less likely to catch peoples' attention than actually being inside the store. 'Cause you know who stands outside- the salvation army, the girlscouts, the boyscouts, random people selling whatever - the people you don't pay much attention to, except to shrug them off as graciously as you can. So it's surprising that I managed to sell as much today as I did.
The other drawback to being outside at this time of year is, of course, the temperature. I had not been prepared to be out of the warm, protective atmosphere of the produce section, and so had not brought a coat/sweater. It was ok for the first couple hours, but after that, I got COLD. Not 'cause the temp was terribly low, but simply 'cause I was there, standing, losing body heat in the most efficient way possible. I think I may have even scared the last few customers, 'cause I was shaking while talking to them and trying my best to smile. Oh well. :P
Then, another thing happened today... In every store there are people who keep the parking lot and the outside of the store clean. They put the carts back in their places, bring out piles of hand-baskets, keep the hand sanitizer filled (yes, american grocery stores have hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes, it's ridiculous, and so typically american, i know). There was one in particular today who... well, who talked to me, and took an interest. He's from Ethiopia, which I think is awesome, and he has a super thick accent. I had to ask him to repeat stuff all the time, which is unusual for me: I can usually make out what people are saying without too much trouble, even if other people find them hard to understand. Anyway, he was friendly, and seemed genuinely kind - that is, he noticed I was cold, and offered to go get me a jacket, which could be more indicative of his interest than real kindness, I suppose. Anyway, we talked - flirted, I guess. i can never tell when flirting is going on, though I really ought to be able to pick up on these things by now - and he eventually asked for my number. As that was a new experience for me, I decided to give it to him, and see what happened.
What happened was that, soon after I packed up, and he helped me wheel the stuff back inside., he proceeded to call the number I had given him. He said that someone had left stuff outside, and he thought it was mine, and was it? - which I'm quite certain was an excuse to make sure that really was my number, since he watched me pack up all my stuff.
The upshot of it all is that I met a guy, got asked for my number for the first time ever, and am giving him a chance. We had a conversation via texting after I left, and presumably might hang out next weekend. Only time will tell.
I also bought a beautiful purple scarf. Partly 'cause I was FREEZING and had lost most of the movement in my fingers, and partly to commemorate the occasion, the place, and the job. =)
the end (for now).
E.O.

p.s.: I'm not sure whether I like coming back to my family or not. But I WILL enjoy sleeping like a log in a beautiful bed, for as long as I want, without burning up because the thermostat is broken. Wahoo! Sleep, here I come!

p.p.s.: irk. what was I thinking? The guy works in a grocery store, his English is bad enough to tell me that he's either really not good at languages, or hasn't been here long enough to pick stuff up. I know absolutely nothing about him...
the experience was really more flattering than anything else.
...i think i'm just gonna leave it at that.

No comments: