Sunday, June 15, 2008

a question for the cosmic void

So I won't go into the whole long story, but it comes to the fact that I have a new game of Scrabble. I tried playing with my fam, but we never got the time and now they're off. I tried playing with my "roomie" for the summer, but she'd rather watch golf. I didn't even try playing with the "dorm parents" 'cause they were exhausted from a father's day party and getting work etc organized for tomorrow. So, eager to play Scrabble with real wood tiles for the first time ever, I simply decided to play with myself. As I said to a friend of mine, I played Myself. Myself won, by 41 points, and I wasn't very happy, but was resigned to the fact. :P
Anyway, I know scrabble doesn't sound very fun or cool or anything. But you have to understand the fascination behind it. You see, for me, Scrabble is rooted in the things that I love. One of the first great teachers in my life used a bag of Scrabble tiles to rule the class with. Those things ruled our lives. The suspense was a part of our daily lives. There were no favorites. You never knew who would be called on- the person goofing off, the one who knew the answer, the one snoring in the corner... or you. Who would be given the prestige of blackboard cleaning and writing the date? Who would- well, you get the picture.
Then there's the fact that some of the people whose lifestyle and joie de vivre I admire most play and love this game. Games are a part of my community. We span most of Europe and some of America. We are few, but we are loyal, passionate, and hard-working. When we get together, we play games: Dutch Blitz, Big Boss Little Boss, Egyptian Rat, Uno, Gin Rummy, and, among others, Scrabble. The thing is, I get the idea that cards and board games are often seen as being boring things that old people do. In my experience that is not so. This community I'm talking about has taken games and enjoyed them thoroughly. People used to like card games because they were a way of getting together and enjoying the people you were with, and that is why we enjoy them still.
Now my community is scattered once again, and I can't spend time enjoying them. So I spend time doing the things we do together, and enjoying those things out of love for my friends.
Ah. But I was forgetting my question for the cosmic void.
Has anyone else ever played Scrabble with themselves?
:P
And with that I leave you, and wish you a good Day, whatever stage of the day you may be in.
over 'n out.

1 comment:

mandrews said...

I always try to get my sisters to play Scrabble with me, but they always say how boring games are... It's so sad, but I have never resorted to playing myself... I usually try to find something else to do... but I love games!!!