Thursday, June 19, 2008

swimmer's conversations

I was at a swim meet today. Those things can last for a very long time- 6, sometimes 7 hours to get through all the age groups and all the strokes. So naturally, people get to talking. Well, a group of friends and I were having a great time laughing, and joking, and being excited about the meet, when one girl said "We should really quiet down, we sound like we're high." I found this interesting at the time, but didn't think much of it. Later though, it occurred to me that really, we weren't the ones at fault. We weren't acting like people who are high. I think that maybe it's the other way around- maybe (some) people want to get high in order to enjoy the laughter and lightheartedness and camaraderie that we were experiencing. In a way, it's a sobering thought.

And then of course there's the inevitable chaser-thought: why should we be ashamed of our enjoyment because there are those who would look down on us for being like people who abuse their bodies in the hopes of having a similar experience?
ah. the more I type this idea out, the more sides there are to it. I will bullet them, as it's late and I'd like to sleep tonight.
  • the not being ashamed of our enjoyment part could be construed as heartless, since it overlooks the pain that individuals that get high are often in
  • how ironic is the use of the word "chaser"
goodnight. -evening, -aftenoon, -morning, whenever you are when you read this.
enjoy yourself. be merry every once in a while. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

say Summer!

ala!
PD: kings of convenience: impresionanteee!

Eschew obfuscation! said...

jajajaja
hm. "impresionanteee" en q sentido? -si es bueno, me n'alegro...