Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Campanera

Ah, the absentminded professor... maybe that's not the job for me after all. You know how sometimes you can get an idea in your head and it just sticks, for some reason? Happens to me all the time. Like yesterday, I was talking to my aunt (which always puts me in a fluster- especially when she's in a hurry and I'm not answering fast enough) and she wanted to know when my first class was today, 'cause we were going to try and meet up (because of course I forgot my thermos at home- there's that elephant's memory again). So I took a quick look at my calendar and told her: 12:50.
Then today I woke up, the idea clearly in my head that my first class was at 12:50 and planning to get some work done before then. I went to breakfast with a friend from down the hall, and came back to finish the HW (very. frustrating. homework.). I worked diligently until about 12:10, at which point I was (happily) interrupted by another girl who wanted to go to lunch. I declined, saying my first class was soon and I had to finish up. Still, since I had stopped working, I decided to check the calendar and see when and where my second class would be. But lo! Apparently, I had made a mistake... above the 12:50 class was (piffle!!) the word "Wednesday". Which meant that the class I was supposed to attend was in the previous column... and had taken place at 10:00! And just to put some icing on the cake (for cakes are only so-so without that touch of sugar) the other class I was supposed to be in was over too- it had been at 11:40.
So here I sit, a hardworking campanera.
Do absentminded professors skip class? I think not...
over 'n out.

No comments: