Friday, September 5, 2008

New School, New Reputation

You know how it is... you go somewhere new, you have the chance to start all over again- be whoever you want to be, unbound by the persona people knew in your old environment. It can be a wonderful and liberating experience. The only downside is that reputations are formed very, very quickly, so you have to stay on your toes. Sometimes it takes only a first impression to start your reputation- and no matter how hard you try, it only sticks the harder.
So it seems to be with my class in Jewish Studies. The first day, I was having a little trouble finding the classroom we were supposed to meet in. Eventually, though, I made it to the right room, opened the door, and peeked in. I was expecting an empty classroom, or maybe one or two people- but to my dismay and embarrassment, the conference table was full! And they all looked older than me.... So I guessed it was another class that hadn't finished yet. I stood outside and meandered around the hall, waiting for them to come out (my class didn't start for another 5 minutes or so). After a while, a short, bearded, mediterranean-looking man entered the room and closed the door behind him. Oh shoot! I realized what was going on, and quick stepped in after him."Is this the Freshman Seminar?" "Yes," someone said. "Whew, Yes! I AM in the right place!" And I sat down. Then this week (the next class after the one I forgot to attend- yeah, it was JS), people started giving oral presentations on various disciplines connected with Archaeology- which is all fine and dandy, don't get me wrong. I sat there taking notes and applauding with the best of them. The guy who had done neumismatics (fascinating, stuff. The study of ancient types of currency.) and the professor called the next person up. Yeah, you guessed it. "Miss Davenport will now tell us all about papyrology."
If you've ever seen (or heard the expression) a deer in the headlights, you'll have a fair picture of my face at that moment. I made some lame excuse about not being aware of the assignment... and mercifully he continued on to the next person. Apparently these oral assignments had been posted on the class' online bulletin board... which I was sure I had checked. Hah.
Still, all's well that ends well, I suppose. I get to present next time... and if you're a praying person, you could pray for me as you laugh and imagine what on earth I'll forget next. Hopefully I'll remember to- wait, no. I'm not going to jinx myself with possibilities! :P
over 'n out.

1 comment:

Annalisa said...

Always a rollercoaster of emotions... life that is. Well, I am hoping and praying your papyrology presentation went smoothly! Did the facts we dug up together help? As usual, your writing is both entertaining (mostly because I can totally see you doing whatever happened to you) and enlightening. Just one question... does everyone's presentations get magically upscale once they enter college? ;) Good luck, my friend!