Thursday, September 11, 2008

Professors & Students

So my college's website has this restricted-access page that profs can't access, where students can say whatever they want about classes, teachers, teaching styles, etc. I have explored it a couple times now, looking for other peoples' impressions on the classes I'm taking and to see what I can expect from my professors. The funny thing is, if you believed everything on this website, you'd think all the professors here were absolutely TERRIBLE. They grade hard. They are erratic. They don't lecture. They arrive late to class. They don't give you enough time to make up your work. They forget to correct your papers or grade them. Almost everybody has something to vent about. The most common phrase in there is "DO NOT TAKE THIS PROFESSOR"- or similar. My theory is that you have to gage the amount of negativity in the post... and translate from there.
The fact is that after school in Europe, I'm used to bizarre professors. At least, in the countries I and some of my friends have experience with, strange behavior from professors is the norm. They throw chalk at you, pick a student for their own personal vendetta, make fun of you in class, expose and laugh at the mistakes in your assignments for all to hear, tell you to act stupider so you won't get ahead of the class.... you name it, it's probably happened. You learn, in time, to work around these quirks. You learn to avoid them or make use of them, or just let things roll off your back and try to get a good grade. Usually if you use your head, you end up getting along just fine, and having some great stories to tell later. So when I talked to someone yesterday and they started complaining about how the prof only likes guys, and how hard she grades, etc. all I could do was laugh inside. As far as I can tell, this prof is pretty decent, no gender discrimination. She grades hard, yes, but she teaches grammar- so is that really such a surprise?
The way I see it, professors are people (no one will dispute me that, I think) and as people, they have their own peculiarities. What point is there in being so self-absorbed you don't try to understand them and work with them? It will only hurt your grade, and make you miserable.
Please, self-absorbed student. Look up. Look around. There's a world out there around you. With more important things in it than whether everyone else does things exactly the way you want them to. Learn to love a little. Cut people some slack and let them be people.
over 'n out.

No comments: