Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mortenson: hero

I know I've talked a lot on here about being an mk. I've wondered, often, what the value of it is. Lately, I've been listening to Three Cups of Tea, the story of how Greg Mortenson began his career, building schools and relationships in Pakistan.
He's my new hero. I don't feel like going into too much detail, but in reading his book, occasionally when the narrator describes Greg's language ability, or his African sense of time (as opposed to American), among other things, I can't help but smile and think "mk skills" - or something to that effect. But, that being said, what really draws me to call him a hero is how he has built on who he began to be in Tanzania, as a kid. He's not just an mk. In fact, his name is mostly associated with things like "peace maker" and "schools" and "educating women," and the fact that he grew up in a country not his own seems to be only a curious side detail. I think that is beautiful: the way his upbringing has become a seamless part of his life, a building block , a background to everything else he is. It gives an important coloring to his life, but the color acts as a... a light, which shines over the person he has become, and affects the scene drastically, but without obliterating the actual picture. Does that make sense? I'm probably making it harder to explain than it actually is. :P Anyway, the point is, I would really like that for my life. I would like for my growing-up, though important to who I become, to be only a part of that person and her accomplishments.
For this reason, and for the fruits of his passion for people, for his amazing work, Greg Mortenson strikes me as worthy of the term "hero". He is what I think every missionary should be: loving people intensely, truly, in actions more than in words; bringing God's love and blessings tangibly into people's lives.
At any rate, I have blabbered on long enough. If you'd like to begin to get an idea yourself, have a look at the website about him and his work, or at his blog. =)
over 'n out.
E.O.

No comments: