Thursday, December 24, 2009

ponderings

Questions:
1. how difficult was temptation for Jesus- really?
2. what does it mean to have the "mind of Christ" and how do we know/see it, practically?
3. what is God's opinion on masturbation?
4. what was my fourth question?
5. does anyone know anyone who goes caroling and would be willing to let me go along?
yeah, so... i had another good question, but i forget what it was. what a shame. good questions are so useful, sometimes. ah well, perhaps i'll re-stumble across the thought that raised it in the first place.

another thing to think about: the politics of gifts, presents, and the giving of said items.
Yes, God gave us Jesus, an immeasurable present, on Christmas. Yes, it is a time which society has set aside to remember to love one another in a Godly way. However, does that require us to give presents to one another? To as many people as society dictates? Ok, it's possible I raise the question merely because I suck at on-demand gift-giving, but truly, my motives aside, I think it's a valid question. Christ wasn't given to us on Christmas. This whole present thing has turned into something that is largely "political," if you will, a way to get into the good graces of others, or even just to fulfill their expectations. I am beginning to think that it may actually detract a great deal from the loving, family aspect of Christmas. Too many expectations and desires, too much greed and selfishness get in the way, and a family celebration of Christmas ends up being a get-together about opening gifts which were not necessarily given out of a heart full of love, but rather out of a somewhat empty pocket and in haste.
Also, on a different, but related train of thought, isn't the Easter holiday commensurately more important, since that's when the whole saving deal happened? I mean, really, in importance, Christmas should just be a build-up for Easter. So my question is, how important to the universally (across nominally Christian countries, anyway) acknowledged importance of Christmas is the fact that it has been positively blown up by all sorts of businesses? If Easter had more commercial applications, would it indeed be larger?
These, and many other ponderings are on my mind this Christmas Eve (for I suppose it is Christmas Eve, by this point).
However, please, feel free to set my cacophony of musings aside and simply enjoy your family and your loved ones, however you may choose to do so, in a spirit of love and compassion. I know I will (try to. hehe).
over 'n out.
E.O.

^ I always get mad at people who think in this way about things like going green, or politics, or Issues. But I guess I really can't say anything. :P

No comments: