Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Challenges

1. JJipp & Skip talking about Isaiah 56-58.
lament > imaginative hope > active mission
2. Buddy's exhortation based in Nightlight and Judges 6
"go in the strength you have" and save the oppressed
"I don't think your generation will stand for it."
3. Dr. Ramachandra at the Veritas Forum
"what is your community doing to help people like me who are putting their lives on the line for human rights?" the students in Cairo are fighting.

As for social justice/human rights:

I fully acknowledge that there are things that are just plain wrong both with the world and going on in the world. It hurts me to hear about war, sex trafficking, famine, genocide, cruelty, the pain of my fellow human beings. However, my typical response is "that's too big for me". I am so small, what possible difference could anything I do or have to say make? How could I make a unique contribution to the wars already going on against slavery, oppression, hunger, and just injustice in general? I fear being overwhelmed and losing. So I compromise with myself and think "well, I'll help whoever I encounter in my daily life. You know, like Jesus said in that one parable, help my neighbor. Without going too much out of my way, of course."

Lately though. Lately, those responses are just not good enough anymore. Scripture is so convicting!

  • In Judges 6 God says to Gideon "go in the strength you have and save Israel from Midian".
  • In John 14 Jesus says "You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!"
  • In Joshua 1, God says to Joshua "This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
  • Hebrews 12 says "Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. Make level paths for your feet, so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed."

and so forth and so on throughout myriads of scriptures.


And let's face it. After a lifetime of finding my identity and sustenance in my faith in Jesus Christ, I fear and trust God more than I fear being bone-weary, burnt out, or losing a battle. "go in the strength you have and save Israel from Midian". I also think that these battles are SO VERY WORTHWHILE. If I do actually believe that God created mankind in his image and loves each person equally, and that I am to love like Jesus did, then fighting these battles could be the most worthwhile thing I would ever do! I've said I don't want to be a missionary because I don't want to go into something that important just because it's the only way I knew how to be an adult. But I also don't want to go into academia just to satisfy a) a social construct and b) my curiosity. I want to do something with purpose!

I need to reframe: instead of thinking of it as fighting an entire war start thinking of it as fighting a battle. "...so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience..." Colossians 1.

There are a lot of wrongs that need to be gainsaid in the world. All that remains is to find a good gap and go stand in it.

peace.

E.O.

You cannot fast as you do today
and expect your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for people to humble themselves?
Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed
and for lying in sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the LORD?

6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

1 comment:

hannah said...

find a good gap and go stand in it.

yes.