Monday, February 28, 2011

Redemptive Song

Today I sang in public again.
I didn't look for it- I was asked. By two people. For Social Justice week's Coffee house event.
It was a lot of fun... the jam session w/Caro beforehand especially.
What was interesting about it though, were people's reactions. To hear them you'd have thought I was Whitney Houston or something. And it's not 'cause I was the best new singer there tonight. I wasn't - Jenni S had never performed w/her guitar for an audience before, and she was STELLAR. I mean, WOW. And Agasha- she wasn't new, but the girl can really capture an audience's heart with her soft, whispery melodies.
The key element? I had surprised them. They've known me for a year or two now, and several people professed to being utterly surprised that I could sing (how my constant humming escaped their notice, I've no idea, but hey). One guy even told me I'd inspired him (he is literally THE QUIETEST person I know. I was surprised to hear two sentences together come out of his mouth) to consider singing in public (from which the public would benefit greatly, if his speaking voice is any indication).

Moral of the story: There's a reason the phrase "the element of surprise" is a cliché. -and- Singing for the right reasons is very worthwhile.

Personal reflections: The past few years had convinced me that my singing voice is mediocre, at best. Decent, solid, I can hit your basic notes, but not anything to write home about.
The past few days have convinced me that even that little bit of talent is worth sharing... delighting the ears of others gives my singing purpose and adds to the variegated beauty of the world- I hope.

over 'n out.
E.O.

No comments: