Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Literacy Log 3

Love Him in the morning when you see the sun a-rising
Love Him in the evening 'cause He took you through the day
And in the in-between-time when you feel the pressure coming
Remember that He loves you and He promises to stay

I only ever knew the chorus to this song. It's encouraging to know that there's really only one verse, and that the chorus (above) was the really important part, when it was being written.

On a different note, it is time, yet again, to write a literacy log.
Let us examine whether or not my feelings on the subject have actually changed. On the surface of things, my first instinct is that it hasn't, but it's always worth a look. So. Literacy. The class has finally admitted that yes, literacy does in fact have to have something to do with texts. Hear my huge sigh of relief. At least there is that. They also claim that it has to do with being able to manipulate many different contexts and capabilities to do with the texts, and these spill over into live interaction. So. If we're being honest, all of this hurts my head. I can't catch hold of it properly. But. I am supposed to explore another aspect of "literacy" (oh how I hate those scared quotes, and how I wish that it were immediately obvious that I use them in an annoyed tone that mocks the doubtful one my prof usually uses). So yeah. Literacy. Um....
I'm gonna focus on "language use that has become naturalized," in the context of christian jargon. Am I? Or would I rather focus on "
The effect of practicing discourse analysis on your own language use or the language of others – recently we suggested that one definition of being literate is being an independent discourse analyst. Is this a helpful way of thinking about literacy for you, and to what extent do you see yourself able to analyze the discourse around you" ? I might have something to say about that. After all, all I do these days is discourse analysis. Or perhaps I'd do better to talk about "Cultural models that you draw upon or that you encounter" Argh.

No comments: